Title: Chief Pharmacy Officer
Company: Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Villanova, Pennsylvania
The Chief Pharmacy Officer leads enterprise-wide strategic direction of all Devereux pharmacy operations and medication management services across the continuum of care providing strategic direction, oversight and decision making for pharmacy operations. Establishes the vision for pharmacy operations which supports and sustains excellence in all aspects of pharmacy operations including regulatory compliance, clinical excellence, fiscal performance, pharmaceutical purchasing, pharmacy clinical practice, transitions of care, program growth and development as well as strategic operational and clinical growth planning and opportunities. Oversight for all pharmacy staff, establishing and reporting on key performance indicators, developing benchmarks and dashboards for operations and outcomes as they pertain to expense and regulatory compliance and excellence and supply chain wholesaler and distributor management for pharmacy are key components of the position.
THE CHIEF PHARMACY OFFICER WILL:
- Create a comprehensive business plan for pharmacy inclusive of growing and developing outpatient/retail pharmacy, specialty pharmacy and ambulatory/clinic services including a 340B program.
- Conduct operational best practices to assure compliance at all hospital and outpatient pharmacy locations.
- Ensure quality assurance and safety within national core measures related to medication use. Embrace and articulate the mission, vision and goals of Devereux to create a culture of innovation, quality and evidence-based best practice.
- Ensure that pharmacy operations are positioned to optimize performance in terms of quality, service, affordability and technology.
- Ensure the delivery of clinically sound and cost-effective pharmacy services that meet and/or exceed all quality, regulatory, and contractual obligations and that add value to patients and customers and the company.
- Build strong collaborative relationships with other key leaders in the organization. Will engage with senior leaders and key stakeholders to ensure the optimal synergy and matriculation of all departmental activities.
- Will have an entrepreneurial outlook and experience to manage the system pharmacy enterprise as a “business within a business” to achieve optimal results.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Leads and directs the development and execution of strategies for delivering operational and clinical pharmacy services across the Devereux enterprise in order to achieve high quality, affordable health care that improves patient outcomes
- Implements the most cost-effective organization structure for delivering integrated enterprise pharmacy operations and clinical pharmacy services. Creates and operationalizes financial and quality dashboards to provide holistic and granular outcomes data and areas for development and improvement. Create benchmarking data internally and comparative external benchmarks.
- Develops and implements plans to continually improve Devereux cost position for pharmaceuticals and delivery of pharmacy services.
- Provides pharmacy operations leadership across the enterprise and is responsible for recruiting, retaining, developing and evaluating performance for all direct reports.
- Responsible for communications within the pharmacy operations community throughout the organization to ensure medication management information is shared and operationalized for effective operation.
- Overseeing technology assessment and standardization, implementation, revision and ongoing maintenance of information technology to manage the medication use process in addition to optimization of clinical information systems to effectively manage medication use across the continuum.
- Performs duties in accordance with departmental policies and procedures, and recognized professional, quality, environmental and infection control standards.
- Ensures system-wide compliance with regulations of licensing authorities, regulatory and accreditation agencies at all hospital and outpatient departments, develops and successfully implements policies and practices that promote unparalleled medication quality and safety.
- Oversees the development and successful implementation of 340B compliance and optimization strategies.
- Identifies and facilitates the implementation of medication-related, evidence-based outcomes and total cost-of-care optimizing strategies.
- Leads the continuing development and successful implementation of a system-wide drug formulary and drug use strategies as well as mechanisms for monitoring effective outcomes and change management.
- Develops relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure compliance with practices and policies related to medication management. The CPO will also negotiate system-wide pharmacy contracts as deemed necessary and beneficial to Deveraux operations and mission.
- Implement and maintain a meaningful group purchasing and distribution relationship on a national level. Leads and oversees national pharmaceutical contracting, materials services, pharmaceutical repackaging and distribution. Create and facilitate regulatory purchasing compliance and record keeping.
- Becomes a visible champion of pharmacy operations, Devereux culture, the commitment to outcomes quality and efficacy, patient centered healthcare and acts as the key spokesperson on pharmacy matters.
- Becomes an essential and critical business partner with the Devereux leadership team. This includes leading the development and cost-effective implementation of a full range of clinical and operational pharmacy services.
- Partners with medical and clinical experts to enhance, develop, and implement effective disease and outcomes management initiatives.
- Ensures that all regulatory, quality, clinical pharmacy, and contractual standards are consistently met or exceeded.
- Supports a high level of collaboration between Pharmacy, Physician, and Nursing leadership to leverage pharmaceutical and medical expertise, improve and promote health and quality care, and assure appropriate use of medications and prudent use of resources.
- Leads the ongoing assessment of existing clinical and operational pharmacy practices and initiatives and prioritizes and leads appropriate and required changes.
- Provides executive leadership and oversight to assure high quality Drug Information Services are provided to promote evidence-based formulary decisions, that outcomes are researched and reported as necessary and critical drug information is maintained across the system.
- Establishes a system Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee with multidisciplinary representation. Provides white papers and other related documentation to assist with efforts for formulary inclusion or exclusion. Assists with the establishment of specifications for the procurement of medications, chemicals and biologicals. Assists to identify potential cost-savings opportunities via appropriate formulary management.
- Oversees the development of forecasts for drug cost and utilization in estimation of future budgeting preparation based on the best available information related to drugs in development, patent expirations and other relevant marketplace factors.
- Leads and provides direction to assure professional/ management development programs to promote the continued growth and effectiveness of departmental team members.
- Collaborates with representatives of Governmental Affairs to influence public policy related to pharmacy services, pharmaceuticals, drug benefits, drug costs and market competition and group purchasing behaviors.
- Designs and implements innovative acute care and ambulatory care pharmacy services and expands the scope of services in the community and academic settings as deemed pertinent by the scope of the business matrix of Devereux.
- Facilitates implementation of medication safety related initiatives, including Quality Improvement initiatives.
- Ensure the development of drug utilization review and other clinical initiatives pertaining to positive outcome and cost savings that impact drug utilization. This includes drug use evaluations and investigational drug services. Assists, makes recommendations, develops and implements improved clinical procedures and best practices to minimize and prevent future adverse medication events. Presents ADE, ADR, and Intervention Reports to the appropriate Devereux corporate departments.
- Ensure the provision of education and support to Devereux facility pharmacy staff with regard to clinical protocol justification, execution, and implementation. Provides education for such initiatives in-person, via Webinar, teleconference or other interpersonal communication. Ensures facility DOPs are aware of clinical initiatives and clinical cost-savings opportunities.
- Assists Devereux Corporate IS to incorporate clinical protocols and other clinical initiatives into the Pharmacy IS System. Provides collaboration in IS expansion and revision.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Maintain an active pharmacy license in at least one state in which Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health operates.
- Possess a PharmD from an accredited School of Pharmacy. MBA or Masters in Health Care Administration preferred.
- Possess experience as a Director of Pharmacy for acute care hospital preferably in a healthcare system setting.
- Demonstrate success as a senior leader in a matrixed organization with an emphasis on contracting, relationship management and program development.
- Experience implementing and/or using technology to improve patient/medication safety and enhance efficiency/productivity.
- Demonstrate success in driving and influencing key business results
- Demonstrate competence in strategy formulation and implementation.
- Demonstrate executive presence with superior communication and presentation skills.
- Have created and operationalized financial management skills via dashboards and benchmarking data.
- Have the demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and develop staff.
- Lead and work in a collaborative team environment.
- Will be goal oriented, highly productive and committed to results within established processes and protocols.
- Maintain excellent negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Maintain software skills using MS office, proficiency with MS Word and MS Excel, some knowledge of MS Access, Knowledge of pharmacy IS systems, automated medication dispensing systems, physician order entry, bar coding applications and integration into clinical decision making.